Quantcast

Skaneateles football investigation completed, will be sent to Section III

School board expresses support of players and coaches

If the public outcry at the Oct. 4 meeting of Skaneateles Board of Education displayed an obvious fracture in the community, the meeting Tuesday night showed the healing process had begun.

The board announced it had concluded its investigation into the varsity football program and will provide the results of that investigation to Section III officials and to Coach Tim Green. Although the timetable is unclear, board President Evan Dreyfuss said the report will be delivered “shortly” to the parties involved. It was not made public Tuesday night.

“We don’t know how long Section III will take to digest the information and make a decision as to how to proceed,” Dreyfuss said. “Once it’s been processed, we’ll wait to hear back from them.”

“We’re just glad we’re in a position to start to move forward,” said Superintendent Phil D’Angelo.

In preparing the report, Dreyfuss said the board and those who investigated the complaints regarding the football team spent a great deal of time separating the facts from unsubstantiated rumors. Previously, the district has indicated there were 63 complaints filed regarding the program.

Both D’Angelo and Dreyfuss said they believe the Lakers will be allowed to play out the remainder of their historic season, which has seen the team roll through the regular season to a perfect 7-0 record and a top seed in the Section III tournament.

“We’d like to see them win the title,” D’Angelo said.

From the outset, it appeared the contentious atmosphere of the Oct. 4 meeting had been diffused.

Before the public comment period began, Dreyfuss commended the team and the coaching staff on an exceptional season.

“We wish you continued success throughout all of the playoffs,” he said. “We’re 7-0. We have a chance to do something that no other team has done here.”

“This isn’t an inquisition of any football team [or] any coach,” he said. “This is a great opportunity to start a healing process.”

During the brief public comment period, five residents addressed the board, primarily echoing his comments, commending the volunteers that make up the board, and wishing for a quick end to the entire saga.

One resident read a letter from Bill and Peggy Allyn, who were unable to attend the meeting. The letter supported the team, the coaching staff, and Green in particular.

“The story before us is one of the saddest things we’ve witnessed,” the Allyns wrote. “Why is this man being treated this way? What are our young people learning from this?”

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

proudmom 2 years, 6 months ago

Like your colleague, Jason - David, you are incorrect in your "reporting." The community is far from healing from the continued behavior by the BOE and other "leaders" that promotes distrust. It has been implied for weeks now via continued "reports" by this newspaper and others that an answer was forthcoming....however, last night, questions were not addressed and yet again, the findings of this investigation were not disclosed. The Board has been secretive and illusive yet as elected members, they are asking us to "trust" the process they have chosen to use. This should have been a much more transparent process. Personally, I am very concerned the "truth" of this story has been tainted by the unfortunate choices made by Mr. Dreyfuss, the Board of Education, and the SCS District administrators. No, the healing has not begun.

dtyler 2 years, 6 months ago

Proudmom: Thanks for your comments. I'm sure there are many in the community that share your sentiments, however those residents that spoke at last night's meeting indicated a hope that there would be a quick resolution to the issue and a recognition that emotions had become too heated during previous public forums. Also, Mr. Dreyfuss and Mr. D'Angelo expressed strong support for the team and a hope that they continue to win and bring a championship to Skaneateles. I understand that the healing process won't be complete until there is resolution to the issue, but I think this report accurately represents what was said at and following the meeting last night. Obviously there are strong emotions still at play with many in the community and those will not go away because of one meeting.

OldTimeLaker 2 years, 6 months ago

Enough proundmom. We get it. You don't like the BOE or anyone who has the gall to stand up and do the right thing. That is their job. Please try to remember that it is just a game and not life or death. Really, enough is enough.

proudmom 2 years, 6 months ago

Thank you David and OldTimeLaker for this feedback. It points out my message was poorly articulated so please accept my apologies. Please know I sincerely don't mean to insult anyone or insinuate my concern is life or death. I actually agree football is just a game but believe this "situation" has become much more than about football; my concern has always been about how and what we are communicating in our actions and words. I actually am a colleague and friends with a few of the BOE members and believe they have obviously put forth a great deal of effort and all in all, have done a wonderful job representing our community. Because I raise concern and request the process of communication going forward be modified does not mean I think everything they have done or do is worthless. Unfortunately, I believe the emotion of this situation has skewed some of the important lessons we can all learn from this. For my part in "confusing" the issue, again, please accept my apologies. I honestly hope we can come out of all this as a community with new understanding and appreciation for each other. Thank you

dtyler 2 years, 6 months ago

Thanks Proudmom. That was well said.

OldTimeLaker 2 years, 6 months ago

There is no reason to apologize. I know you meant well. I just want people to realize Skaneateles is blessed to have an incredible administration and BOE that only want the best for the children of our town and continue to make the Skaneateles School District the single best district in the state. I honestly feel they were faced with questions and did the absolute best they could to come to a fair conclusion. We all want the team to win, but we all want to make sure it is doing so fairly. I do hope that nothing comes up in the report, but will support our Superintendent and BOE regardless of the outcome. They did their best in trying circumstances. I publically thank them for all the hard work they do and hope they continue to do this.